You can buy scallion cream-cheese spread to use for these sandwiches, or make it from scratch using our recipe. Or, if your kids prefer it, use plain cream cheese instead.
- 4 ounces cream cheese, room temperature
- 2 scallions, finely chopped (about 1/4 cup)
- 4 large round rolls, such as kaiser
- 1 to 2 large tomatoes, sliced
- 1 large cucumber, thinly sliced
- 3 cups loosely packed shredded carrot (2 to 3 carrots)
- 1 1/4 ounces alfalfa sprouts
- 1/4 head iceberg lettuce, shredded
- 1 medium avocado, thinly sliced
Stir together cream cheese and scallions in a small bowl.
Split rolls in half horizontally. Spread bottom of each roll with 1 tablespoon plus 1 teaspoon cream-cheese spread. Layer tomatoes, cucumber, carrots, sprouts, lettuce and avocado on top. Return tops of rolls, pressing down firmly. Cut sandwiches in half, if desired, and serve.
SourceMartha Stewart Kids, Late Summer