Potato, Sweet Potato, and Onion Latkes
Here is a twist on the classic Hanukkah treat. For more variations using carrots and parsnips, or onions and horseradish, see below.
- 1 all-purpose potato or Yukon Gold potato (about 10 ounces), peeled
- 1 sweet potato (about 10 ounces), peeled
- 1/4 large white onion, peeled
- 1 large egg, room temperature
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt, or more to taste
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- Vegetable oil, for frying
Grate potatoes and onion using the largest holes of a four-sided grater. Combine in a small bowl; add egg, flour, salt, and pepper, and stir well to combine.
Heat 1 tablespoon oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Drop batter by heaping tablespoonfuls into the pan, and cook until golden brown around the edges, about 3 minutes. Turn latkes over, press lightly with a spatula, and cook about 3 minutes more. Continue cooking latkes in batches until batter is used up. Serve with applesauce or sour cream.
SourceMartha Stewart Living, December/January 1994/1995