Chicken and Dumplings
If you want to make the dish in advance, prepare chicken and sauce through step two. Let cool completely, then cover and refrigerate overnight. Re-warm gently before proceeding.
For the Chicken
- 1 pound boneless skinless chicken thighs (5 to 6)
- 1 pound boneless skinless chicken breast halves (about 3 pieces)
- 1/2 teaspoon fine sea salt, plus more for cooking water
- 1/8 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- One 14 1/2-ounce can low-sodium chicken broth, skimmed of fat
- 1 1/2 teaspoons finely chopped fresh thyme
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 cups low-fat (1 percent) milk
- 3 carrots, peeled and diagonally sliced 1/4 inch thick
- 1/2 pound green beans, trimmed and cut in 1-inch pieces
For the Dumplings
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup yellow cornmeal
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon fine sea salt
- 2 tablespoons cold unsalted butter, cut in bits
- 2/3 cup low-fat (1 percent) milk
Sprinkle chicken with salt and pepper. Heat a 6-quart Dutch oven over medium heat; add thighs. Cook, turning once, until nicely browned on both sides and cooked through, 8 to 10 minutes. Repeat with breasts; cut breasts crosswise into thirds.
Add butter to pot; when melted, add onion, cover, and cook, stirring occasionally, until softened, about 6 minutes. Stir in broth and thyme; bring to a boil. Combine cornstarch and 2 tablespoons flour in a bowl. Gradually whisk in milk, and whisk milk mixture into broth. Boil, whisking, until thickened, about 5 minutes. Return chicken to Dutch oven; remove from heat while you prepare the vegetables.
Bring a saucepan of water to a boil; add salt. Add carrots and green beans; cook until crisp-tender, about 5 minutes. Drain in a colander, then rinse with cold water to stop cooking. Stir into chicken mixture.
Prepare dumpling dough: In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, cornmeal, baking powder, and salt. Add butter; cut into dry mixture with fingers until mealy. Pour in milk; stir with a fork until dough comes together. Return chicken mixture to a simmer, and drop dough by tablespoons on surface of stew. Cover; cook for 15 minutes without lifting lid. (The dumplings will puff up.) Serve.