Poached Salmon with Beet Relish
- 3 to 4 medium beets, 1 1/2 pounds
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- Coarse salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 2 carrots, peeled and cut into quarters
- 1 stalk celery, cut into quarters
- 2 small onions, peeled and cut into quarters
- 2 fresh bay leaves
- 10 whole black peppercorns
- 2 cups dry white wine
- Four 6-ounce salmon fillets
- 1 serrano chile pepper, seeded and minced
- 1/4 cup coarsely chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
- 1 tablespoon mustard seed
- 2 tablespoons red-wine vinegar
Heat oven to 425 degrees. Place beets on a baking tray, and drizzle with 1 tablespoon olive oil. Sprinkle with salt and pepper, and toss to coat. Roast until tender, 45 to 50 minutes. Remove from oven, and set aside to cool while proceeding with salmon.
Place carrots, celery, onions, bay leaves, peppercorns, and wine in a shallow saucepan. Add water to make 2 inches of liquid; bring to a boil. Reduce heat to barely simmering; add salmon. Cook until flesh is firm but slightly moist in the center, 10 to 12 minutes. Transfer fish to a plate; cover with plastic. Cool to room temperature.
Peel reserved beets; cut into 1/2-inch cubes. Place in a bowl; add remaining tablespoon olive oil, chile pepper, parsley, mustard seed, and vinegar. Toss well to combine; serve over salmon.