Rigatoni with Sausage and Broccoli Rabe
This recipe for rigatoni with sausage and broccoli rabe is an ideal warm-weather meal.
- Servings: 6
Source: Martha Stewart Living, March 2005
- 7 medium cloves garlic, 3 quartered and 4 crushed
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- Coarse salt
- 1 medium bunch broccoli rabe (about 1 pound), trimmed
- 1/2 cup sun-dried tomatoes in olive oil (about 12 halves)
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1 dried red pepper, crushed, or 1/4 teaspoon hot red-pepper flakes
- 1 pound sweet sausages with fennel, chopped into 1/2-inch pieces
- 12 medium plum tomatoes, seeded and quartered, or 4 cups drained and seeded canned plum tomatoes, quartered
- 1 pound rigatoni, cooked
Heat oven to 350 degrees. Place 3 cloves quartered garlic in center of a small piece of aluminum foil lined with parchment paper. Fold up edges to form sides. Drizzle with 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil and sprinkle with salt. Fold aluminum foil and parchment over garlic to enclose. Place on a small baking sheet. Transfer to oven and bake until golden brown and soft, about 20 minutes. Remove from oven and set aside to cool.
Meanwhile, bring a large pot of lightly salted water to a boil. Add broccoli rabe and cook until bright green, 1 to 2 minutes. Drain well. Cut crosswise into 1-inch pieces; set aside. In a blender, puree sun-dried tomatoes. Transfer to a small bowl; set aside.
In a large skillet, combine 1/4 cup olive oil, 4 cloves crushed garlic, dried red pepper, and a pinch of salt over medium heat. Cook until fragrant, 1 to 2 minutes. Add sausage and cook, stirring frequently until brown, about 10 minutes. Add pureed sun-dried tomatoes, plum tomatoes, and broccoli rabe. Cook until liquid is reduced, 10 to 12 minutes more. Toss cooked pasta with roasted garlic, and add to sauce. Stir to combine. Taste and adjust for seasoning. Serve immediately.