Under 30 Minutes
Piquillo Pepper and Cheese Toasts
These toasts are a tasty tapa and a snap to make. The combination of crisp bread and warm piquillo peppers stuffed with cheese is a scrumptious way to start the meal.
- 1 medium baguette, thinly sliced into 16 rounds
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 16 piquillo peppers (from one 12-ounce jar), drained and patted dry
- 4 ounces sliced aged provolone cheese, cut into 16 one-inch squares
- Garnish: 1 scallion, pale-green part only, thinly sliced on the bias
Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Brush both sides of baguette slices with 2 tablespoons oil. Toast on a rimmed baking sheet until crisp, 7 to 8 minutes.
Stuff each pepper with a cheese square. Place 1 stuffed pepper on each toast. Bake until cheese melts, 8 to 10 minutes. Drizzle with remaining 2 tablespoons oil. Garnish with scallion.