Homemade mayo has a distinct lusciousness. Making it in the blender is foolproof. (Store-bought can be used in a pinch.) Mix with boiled potatoes, shredded cabbage, or seafood for upgrades to warm-weather favorites.
- Yield: Makes 2 1/2 cups
Photography: andrew parcell
Source: Martha Stewart Living, June 2011
- 2 large eggs
- 2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar
- 3/4 teaspoon coarse salt
- 2 cups vegetable or safflower oil
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1/2 cup chopped cornichons
- 1/4 cup chopped jarred Peppadew peppers
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
Pulse eggs, mustard, sugar, and salt in a blender. With machine running, slowly pour in oil until emulsified, then lemon juice. Transfer to a bowl. Fold in cornichons, Peppadew peppers, and ground pepper. Refrigerate until ready to use (up to 2 days).