Fireside-made bread, cut into croutons, soak up a vinaigrette in this classic bread salad made with chunks of tomatoes and lanky green beans. If you're making this salad at home, toast the breads under the broiler.
- Total Time:
- Servings: 6
Source: Martha Stewart Living, June 2011
- 6 ounces green beans, trimmed
- 2 to 3 Skillet Breads, cut into 1-inch cubes (about 3 cups)
- 1 pint cherry tomatoes (1 1/2 cups), halved, or 2 large tomatoes, coarsely chopped
- 5 large basil leaves, torn
- 1/2 red onion, thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup red-wine vinegar
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- Coarse salt and freshly ground pepper
Blanch green beans in a large saucepan of boiling water until just tender, about 5 minutes. Drain, and let cool.
Grill bread cubes directly on grates set over a campfire or on a medium grill, turning, until just starting to char, about 3 minutes.
Toss bread cubes with beans, tomatoes, basil, and red onion.
Whisk together vinegar and oil. Season with salt and pepper. Pour over salad, and let stand for 15 minutes. Season with salt and pepper, and toss so that the bread absorbs any remaining dressing. Serve immediately.