Chocolate Pate Sucree
It's best to roll out this delicate chocolate crust between sheets of lightly floured parchment.
- Total Time:
- Yield: Makes 1 disk (enough for one 9-inch pie)
Source: Martha Stewart Living, June 2011
- 1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 2 tablespoons unsweetened Dutch-process cocoa powder
- 1 stick cold unsalted butter, cut into small pieces
- 1 large egg yolk
- 3 tablespoons to 1/4 cup ice water
Pulse flour, sugar, cocoa, and 1/2 teaspoon salt in a food processor until combined. Add butter, and pulse until mixture resembles coarse meal, about 10 seconds. Add yolk, and drizzle 3 tablespoons ice water evenly over mixture. Pulse until mixture just begins to hold together (dough should not be wet or sticky). If dough is too dry, add more water, 1 tablespoon at a time, and pulse.
Shape dough into a disk, and wrap in plastic wrap. Refrigerate until firm, about 1 hour.