Chicken and Chorizo Paella
- 4 cups chicken stock
- 1/2 teaspoon ground saffron
- Coarse salt and freshly ground pepper
- 8 bone-in, skin-on chicken thighs (about 3 1/2 pounds)
- 1 teaspoon pimenton (smoked Spanish paprika; igourmet.com)
- 2 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 12 ounces dried chorizo, sliced 1/8 inch thick on the bias
- 1 white onion, coarsely chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 3 medium vine-ripe tomatoes, coarsely chopped
- 2 1/2 cups Arborio rice
- 1 cup fresh shelled English peas
Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Warm stock, saffron, and 1/2 teaspoon salt in a saucepan over medium heat. Season chicken with 2 teaspoons salt, 1/2 teaspoon pepper, and the pimenton. Heat oil in a 14-inch paella pan or a high-sided ovenproof skillet over high heat. Brown chicken for 6 to 8 minutes; transfer to a plate.
Pour out all but 1 teaspoon oil. Cook chorizo over medium-high heat until lightly browned, about 2 minutes. Add onion and garlic. Cook until soft, about 5 minutes. Add tomatoes. Cook, stirring, until thick, about 5 minutes. Stir in rice, then add broth mixture. Bring to a boil. Cook for 2 minutes, stirring often. Add peas, then chicken. Bake for 20 minutes. Let stand for 10 minutes.
SourceMartha Stewart Living, June 2011