Tomato, Rice, and Sausage Soup
This recipe is from the "Martha Stewart's Dinner at Home" cookbook.
- 1 tablespoon safflower or other neutral-tasting oil
- 5 ounces andouille sausage, one-quarter cut into small dice, the rest into 1/4-inch-thick half-moons
- 1/2 red bell pepper, ribs and seeds removed, minced
- 1/2 yellow onion, minced
- 2 celery stalks, minced
- 1 garlic clove, thinly sliced
- 1 teaspoon fresh thyme, leaves
- 1 cup canned whole peeled tomatoes, pureed
- 4 cups chicken stock, homemade or low-sodium, store-bought
- 1/2 cup long-grain white rice
- 1/2 teaspoon apple cider or distilled white vinegar
- Coarse salt and freshly ground pepper
Heat oil in a 4-quart saucepan over medium-high until hot but not smoking. Cook sausage, stirring occasionally, until browned, 3 to 5 minutes. Add bell pepper, onion, celery, garlic, and thyme. Cook over medium-low, stirring occasionally, 10 minutes.
Add tomatoes, stock, and rice; bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer until rice is plump, about 20 minutes. Remove from heat. Stir in vinegar, and season with salt and pepper.
SourceMartha Stewart's Dinner at Home