Here’s a treat that will elicit a chorus of oohs and aahs -- and it’s easier to make these dazzling bites than you might think.
The trick is to use a toothpick to swirl together white and colored royal icing. For maximum wow, vary the bursts' sizes and styles. We used sugar cookies, but any flat cookies will do.
Tools and Materials
- Royal Icing in White, Red, and Blue
- Plastic squeeze bottles or pastry bags
- Fireworks Cookies
- Toothpicks or skewers
- Place each colored icing in a separate plastic squeeze bottle; cut a small hole at the tip for white, and very small holes for red and blue.
- Pipe an outline of white icing around edge of 1 cookie, leaving a 1/4-inch border, then "flood" with more white icing to cover.
- Immediately pipe a dot of tinted icing in the center of cookie, then pipe concentric circles, alternating colors if you like.
- Using a toothpick or a skewer, create bursts by dragging the wet icing out from the center. work in 1 direction, or alternate dragging inward, then outward. (Curve the lines for a pinwheel effect.) Let dry. Repeat with remaining cookies and icings.