Photography: John Kernick
Source: Martha Stewart Living, October 2007
- 10 ounces tomatillos, husks removed, tomatillos rinsed and dried
- 4 garlic cloves, unpeeled
- 1 Hatch chile or Hungarian wax chile
- 3 chipotle chiles (canned in adobo sauce), rinsed and seeded
- 1 teaspoon coarse salt
- Pinch of granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup fresh cilantro leaves, coarsely chopped
Preheat broiler. Place tomatillos, garlic, and Hatch chile on a rimmed baking sheet. Broil, turning occasionally, until charred, about 10 minutes.
When cool enough to handle, squeeze garlic from skins into a blender. Scrape and discard charred skin from Hatch chile, remove seeds, and add chile to blender with tomatillos, garlic, and chipotles. Process until combined. Add salt, sugar, and cilantro. Pulse until smooth.