Grilled Garden Salad
The heat of the grill transforms vegetables, intensifying their flavors and drawing out their sweetness. Lemon and thyme add a light, summery note.
- 1 small eggplant, cut into 1/4-inch rounds
- 1 pound asparagus, trimmed
- 3 tomatoes, halved
- 5 pattypan or baby summer squashes, halved if large
- 2 heads radicchio, quartered
- 1 medium red onion, cut into 1/2-inch rings
- 1 red bell pepper, quartered, seeds and ribs removed
- 1 yellow bell pepper, quartered, seeds and ribs removed
- 1 portobello mushroom cap, cut into 1/2-inch slices
- 1/2 cup extra-virgin olive oil, for brushing
- Coarse salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 1 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
- 1 1/2 teaspoons fresh thyme leaves
Preheat grill to medium. (If you are using a charcoal grill, coals are ready when you can hold your hand 5 inches above grill for just 5 to 6 seconds.) Brush vegetables with oil, and season with salt and pepper. Grill vegetables, turning occasionally, until tender and slightly charred, 2 to 8 minutes (times vary depending on vegetable). Transfer grilled vegetables to a platter; add lemon juice, thyme, salt, and pepper, and toss. Serve warm or at room temperature.