Morel and Asparagus Sandwiches with Poached Egg
This open-face sandwich brings together woodsy morels and tender asparagus on ricotta-topped toast; it's crowned with an egg.
- Servings: 4
Source: Martha Stewart Living, March 2007
- 1 cup best-quality whole-milk ricotta cheese
- Coarse salt and freshly ground pepper
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 10 ounces asparagus, trimmed
- 4 ounces small morel mushrooms (halved or quartered if large)
- 1/2 cup homemade or low-sodium store-bought chicken stock
- 3 tablespoons heavy cream
- 4 teaspoons finely chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
- 4 teaspoons finely chopped fresh chervil
- 1 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
- 4 very fresh large eggs
- 4 slices (1/2 inch thick) rustic bread, lightly toasted
Stir together ricotta, 1/4 teaspoon salt, and pinch of pepper in a bowl; set aside.
Heat a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add butter and oil; heat until butter has melted. Add asparagus, and cook, stirring, 1 minute. Stir in mushrooms. Add stock, and bring to a simmer. Cover, and cook 2 minutes. Uncover, and cook until asparagus is tender and bright green, about 2 minutes more. Add cream; cook until reduced and slightly thickened, 1 to 2 minutes. Stir in herbs and lemon juice. Season with salt and pepper; remove from heat.
Bring a large shallow saucepan of water to a simmer. Working with 1 egg at time, break into a cup, and slide egg into water. Cook the eggs until whites are set, 2 to 3 minutes. Using a slotted spoon, transfer eggs to a plate lined with paper towels to drain.
Spread ricotta mixture over bread slices, dividing evenly. Divide asparagus among slices, and drizzle with sauce. Top each with a poached egg. Season with salt and pepper. Serve immediately.