Under 30 Minutes
Grilled Sausages with Charred Tomato Relish
There's nothing like the smell of sausages and chiles sizzling over a campfire to get appetites going.
- 1 pound mixed chiles, such as habanero, finger, and at least 1 jalapeno
- 6 plum tomatoes, halved lengthwise
- 3 to 4 pounds linked (sweet and/or hot) or coiled Italian sausages
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 1/2 teaspoons red-wine vinegar
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- Coarse salt and freshly ground pepper
Grill chiles and tomatoes directly on grates set over a campfire or on a medium-high grill, turning, until charred and softened, about 10 minutes. Transfer to a plate. Reserve tomatoes and 1 jalapeno for relish. (Reserve 2 jalapenos for a spicier relish.)
Grill sausages directly on grates, turning, until cooked through, 12 to 15 minutes.
Meanwhile, chop charred tomatoes and reserved jalapeno; transfer to a bowl. Stir in garlic, vinegar, and sugar. Season with salt and pepper. Serve chiles and sausages with charred tomato relish, sandwiched with skillet breads.
SourceMartha Stewart Living, June 2011