Spring Vegetable Ragout
- Servings: 4
Source: The Martha Stewart Show, April 2007
- 1 pound jumbo asparagus, trimmed
- Coarse salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Juice of 1/2 lemon
- 8 baby artichokes, trimmed and quartered
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 shallot, minced
- 1 cup frozen peas, thawed
- 3 sprigs fresh thyme
- 1/4 cup chopped mixed herbs, such as mint and parsley
Prepare an ice-water bath. Bring a large saucepan of water to a boil over high heat. Add salt, return to a boil and add asparagus. Cook until just tender, drain asparagus, and immediately transfer to ice-water bath to cool. Drain from ice water and set aside.
Bring a large saucepan of water and lemon juice to a boil over high heat. Add artichokes and cook until tender, about 15 minutes; drain.
In a large skillet, heat 1 tablespoon butter over medium-low heat. Add shallot and cook until softened, about 1 minutes. Add asparagus, artichokes, peas, thyme, and 2 tablespoons water. Bring to a simmer and cook until heated through. Remove thyme sprigs, season with salt and pepper, and stir in chopped herbs. Add remaining tablespoon butter and swirl until melted. Serve immediately.