Lamb Burgers with Tzatziki Sauce and Parsley Salad
Ground lamb patties are spiced with Madras curry powder and seared on the grill for a tender, flavorful burger.
- Servings: 8
Source: Mad Hungry, May 2011
- 2 pounds ground lamb
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 2 teaspoons Madras curry powder
- 2 cups Greek yogurt
- 1 English cucumber, peeled, seeded, and chopped
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh mint
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 2 medium vine-ripened tomatoes, chopped
- 1 cup packed parsley leaves
- 1/2 medium red onion, thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 8 individual pitas or 4 regular pitas
Preheat the outdoor grill or indoor grill pan.
In a bowl combine lamb, 1 teaspoon salt, pepper, and curry powder. Form into 8 3-inch by 2-inch oblong patties. Set aside to come to room temperature.
Meanwhile, make the tzatziki sauce and parsley salad.
For the tzatziki sauce: In a medium bowl combine yogurt, cucumber, mint, remaining 1/2 teaspoon salt, and lemon zest and juice. Set aside.
For the parsley salad: In a medium bowl combine tomato, parsley, red onion, and olive oil. Set aside.
When the burgers have come to room temperature and the grill is hot, grill the burgers to desired doneness, about 2 to 3 minutes per side for medium-rare. Stuff burgers, tzatziki sauce, and parsley salad into pitas and serve immediately.