Rib Roast of Beef with Beets, Potatoes, and Horseradish
This recipe for rib roast of beef with beets, potatoes, and horseradish is from chef Jamie Oliver's book "Cook with Jamie."
- Servings: 8
Source: The Martha Stewart Show, November Fall 2007
- Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 6 cloves garlic
- 1/4 cup fresh rosemary leaves, plus 2 sprigs for vegetables
- 6 anchovy fillets in oil, drained
- Zest of 2 lemons
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 4-rib roast (8 pounds), preferably free-range or organic, French-trimmed, rolled, and tied
- 3 onions, peeled and halved
- 3 carrots, peeled and each cut crosswise into 3 pieces
- 1/4 cup fresh marjoram or parsley leaves, chopped
- 11 ounces creme fraiche
- Juice of 2 lemons
- 1 piece (1 1/2 inches) fresh horseradish, peeled and grated, or 3 tablespoons prepared
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- Roasted Beets and Potatoes
Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Place garlic in a mortar, along with 1/4 cup rosemary leaves, anchovy, and lemon zest; mash together with a pestle. Add olive oil and rub mixture all over beef. Place onions, carrots, and rosemary sprigs in the bottom of a large roasting pan and season with salt and pepper; place beef on top of vegetables. Roast for 2 1/2 hours or continue roasting until meat has reached desired degree of doneness. Transfer beef to a platter and let stand 30 minutes.
Drain all but about 1 tablespoon fat from roasting pan. Place roasting pan over medium heat and add flour and 1/2 cup water. Using a potato masher, mash carrots and onions into the flour and water, scraping up any brown bits from the bottom of the pan as you mash. Strain gravy through a fine mesh sieve set over a bowl; discard solids.
In a medium bowl, mix together marjoram, creme fraiche, and lemon juice. Add horseradish; season with salt and pepper. Slice beef and serve with roasted beets and potatoes, gravy, and creme fraiche.