Chilled Corn-and Crayfish Soup with Creme Fraiche and Chives
This delicious chilled soup recipe, courtesy of chef Emeril Lagasse, is a perfect summer dish.
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 cup finely chopped onion
- 1/2 cup finely chopped carrot
- 2 cups fresh corn kernels
- 2 tablespoons very finely chopped shallots
- 1 teaspoon very finely chopped garlic
- 6 cups Corn Stock
- 2 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon liquid crab boil
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 12 ounces cooked crayfish tails
- 1/2 cup creme fraiche
- 3 tablespoons thinly sliced chives
Heat butter and olive oil in a medium saucepan over medium heat until butter is melted, about 1 minute. Add onions and carrots and cook, stirring occasionally, until lightly caramelized and softened, about 5 minutes. Add corn and continue to cook until corn is lightly caramelized, 7 to 8 minutes. Add shallots and garlic and cook until fragrant, about 1 minute.
Add corn stock, salt, cayenne, and crab boil to saucepan. Bring to a boil and immediately reduce heat to a simmer. Cook soup until corn is very tender, 25 to 30 minutes. Remove from heat and let cool slightly.
Working in batches, transfer soup to the jar of a blender and puree until smooth. Strain soup through a fine mesh sieve into a clean saucepan. Add cream and crawfish tails and return to a boil. Remove from heat and let cool completely.
Transfer soup to refrigerator until chilled. To serve, ladle soup into chilled bowls; garnish each with 1 tablespoon creme fraiche and 2 teaspoons chives.
SourceThe Martha Stewart Show, May Spring 2008