Summer Corn and Rice Pilaf
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 cup basmati or long-grain white rice
- 4 ears corn, kernels shaved from cobs
- 4 large shallots, cut into 1/4-inch slices
- Pinch of sugar
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- 1/4 cup loosely packed mint leaves, coarsely chopped
Melt 1 tablespoon butter in a small saucepan set over medium heat. Add the rice, and stir until it is well coated. Add 2 cups water, increase heat to high, and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium low, cover, and simmer until all of the water is absorbed and the rice is tender when bitten, 18 to 20 minutes. Remove from heat, uncover, and fluff with a fork.
Meanwhile, in a large skillet over medium heat, melt remaining tablespoon butter. Add the corn kernels, shallots, sugar, and a pinch each of salt and pepper. Cook, stirring occasionally to prevent burning, until corn and shallots are soft and tender, about 5 minutes. Remove from heat.
Combine rice and corn mixture in a medium bowl. Add mint, and toss to combine. Add salt and pepper to taste. Serve.