You'll have it made in the shade with this pretty and practical reversible hat you can stitch yourself.
The sun hat: It's cute, colorful, and cool. And when you pick out the fabrics and sew it yourself, you can add original to that list, too. You don't have to be an expert seamstress to make one of these toppers from scratch -- even a beginner can start stitching in the morning and have a new hat to wear to the beach in the afternoon. The simple silhouette looks equally good on adults and kids, and the reversible design lets you mix and match patterns to suit any style. These hats pack like a dream, and the wide, floppy brim offers plenty of protection from the sun. So pick a print (or two), start sewing, and get ready to go under cover.
With a reversible hat, you double your fun. Choose two fabrics that look great together, but don't hesitate to try unexpected combos. Some of our favorites are below.
1. Irish linen (L1384), 58 inches wide, $27 per yd.; B&J Fabrics
2. Japan cotton (L1380), 44 inches wide, $33 per yd.; B&J Fabrics
3. Cotton (L1381), 45 inches wide, $13; B&J Fabrics
4. Cotton canvas (L1383), 56 inches wide, $20 per yd.; B&J Fabrics
5. Yuwa Honeycomb, in Rust, 41 to 43 inches wide, $14.75 per yd.; purlsoho.com
6. Lecien Dots Small, in Orange, 41 to 43 inches wide, $10.30 per yd.; purlsoho.com
7. Robert Kaufman Metro Living Circles, in Carrot, 41 to 43 inches wide, $10.20 per yd.; purlsoho.com
8. Cotton canvas (L1382), 56 inches wide, $16 per yd.; B&J Fabrics, 212-354-8150
9. Freespirit Voile Jenaveves Pebbles, in Merlot, 53 to 54 inches wide, $16 per yd.; purlsoho.com
10. Liberty cotton lawn (L1379), 54 inches wide, $37 per yd.; B&J Fabrics, 212-354-8150