Spiced Chickpea and Tomato Soup
- Total Time:
- Servings: 4
- Yield: 6 cups
Source: Martha Stewart Living, November 2007
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 3 dried hot red chiles, chopped, or 1/2 teaspoon red-pepper flakes
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 3/4 teaspoon coarse salt
- 1/8 teaspoon caraway seeds
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 can (15 ounces) chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 1 1/2 cups crushed canned tomatoes, with juice
- 1/2 cup drained jarred roasted red peppers, rinsed
- 3 1/2 cups homemade or low-sodium store-bought chicken stock
- Sour cream, for serving
- Parsley sprigs, for garnish
Using a mortar and pestle or the back of a spoon, crush garlic, chiles, coriander, salt, and caraway to form a paste.
Heat oil in a saucepan over medium-high heat. Add garlic mixture, and cook until just softened, about 3 minutes.
Stir in chickpeas, tomatoes, roasted red peppers, and stock. Simmer, stirring often, for 15 minutes. Let cool slightly.
Working in batches, puree soup in a blender. Rewarm if necessary. Divide among bowls, and top each with a dollop of sour cream and a sprig of parsley.