Try these piquant pickled ramps with grilled chicken, or serve them with a baguette and a variety of cheeses.
- Yield: Makes about 2 cups
Source: Martha Stewart Living, March 2007
- 1 cup white-wine vinegar
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 1/4 teaspoons coarse salt
- 1 teaspoon whole coriander seeds
- 1/2 teaspoon fennel seeds
- 1/4 teaspoon whole black peppercorns
- Pinch of crushed red-pepper flakes
- 3 sprigs fresh thyme
- 10 ounces ramps, trimmed and rinsed well
Stir together vinegar, sugar, salt, coriander seeds, fennel seeds, peppercorns, red-pepper flakes, thyme, and 2 cups water in a medium saucepan. Bring to a boil. Add ramps; return to a boil. Reduce heat, and simmer until tender, 5 to 7 minutes. Remove from heat, and let cool completely, about 1 1/2 hours.