Basic Red Sauce
Tomato paste, red onion, and fresh basil add a hint of sweetness to this quick-cooking marinara.
- Yield: Makes 2 cups
Source: Martha Stewart Living, April 2010
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/2 small red onion, finely chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 can (28 ounces) peeled plum tomatoes with juice, pureed
- 12 basil leaves, torn
- 1/4 teaspoon dried oregano
- Pinch of crushed red-pepper flakes (optional)
- Coarse salt and freshly ground pepper
Heat oil in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Cook onion and garlic, stirring occasionally, until tender, about 5 minutes. Stir in tomato paste.
Add pureed tomatoes, basil, oregano, red-pepper flakes, and 1/2 teaspoon salt. Season with pepper, and bring to a simmer. Reduce heat, and gently simmer, stirring occasionally, until sauce is thick, 25 to 30 minutes.