Roasted Eggplant Salad
In Greece, this dish is called melitzanosalata. The eggplants can be grilled instead of broiled.
- 4 medium eggplants (about 4 pounds)
- 1 tablespoon white-wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 4 tablespoons minced red onion
- 2 medium garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon minced fresh mint, for garnish
- 1 teaspoon minced fresh flat-leaf parsley, for garnish
Heat broiler. Prick eggplants several times with the tip of a knife. Broil 3 to 4 inches from heat, turning occasionally, until soft and charred all over, about 30 minutes. When cool enough to handle, remove skin. Place eggplants in a colander set over a bowl; let drain for at least 30 minutes.
Halve eggplants lengthwise; discard seeds. Chop flesh finely, and place in a bowl.
Combine vinegar, lemon juice, olive and vegetable oils, onion, garlic, sugar, salt, and pepper. Add to eggplant; mix to combine. Serve at room temperature sprinkled with chopped mint and parsley.
SourceMartha Stewart Living, April 1996