- Yield: Makes about 5 dozen
Source: Martha Stewart Living, December 2006
- 1 pound bittersweet chocolate (preferably 65 percent cacao), coarsely chopped
- 3/4 cup heavy cream
- 1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter, cut into small pieces, softened
- 2 tablespoons flavored alcohol, such as Armagnac, rum, framboise, Grand Marnier, or kirsch (optional)
- 3 cups unsweetened Dutch-process cocoa powder, plus more for dusting
Melt chocolate with the cream in a heatproof bowl set over a pan of simmering water, stirring occasionally until smooth. Remove from heat. Add butter and alcohol if desired; stir until smooth.
Transfer to an 8-inch square baking dish. Cover with plastic wrap; refrigerate until firm but spoonable, about 2 hours.
Using a 1-inch ice cream scoop, drop balls of chocolate mixture onto a rimmed baking sheet lined with parchment paper. Refrigerate 10 minutes.
Put cocoa powder into a large bowl. Using cocoa-dusted hands and working one at a time, roll balls between your palms until smooth. Roll in cocoa to coat. Refrigerate until firm, about 30 minutes.