Grilled Shrimp and Chorizo on Skewers
Cutting chorizo on the bias ensures even cooking.
- 24 jumbo shrimp (about 2 pounds), peeled and deveined, tails intact
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 1 lime, cut into wedges
- 8 ounces dried chorizo, cut on the bias into sixteen 1-inch pieces
- Coarse salt and freshly ground pepper
- 2 firm, ripe Hass avocados, halved, pitted, peeled, and cut into wedges
Toss shrimp, garlic, oil, and lime juice in a large baking dish. Cover, and refrigerate, turning occasionally, for 30 minutes. Meanwhile, soak 8 wooden skewers in water.
Preheat grill to medium-high. Thread 3 shrimp and 2 slices chorizo onto each skewer, alternating pieces. Season with salt. Grill until shrimp are opaque and chorizo is slightly softened, about 3 minutes per side.
Arrange avocados on a platter. Squeeze lime wedges over avocados, and season with salt and pepper. Serve with shrimp-and-chorizo skewers.