Under 30 Minutes
Spicy Bean and Cheese Soft Tacos
You can make these as spicy as you like by varying the amount of chipotle peppers or using a spicier salsa. Canned chipotles in adobo can be found in the specialty section of most supermarkets.
- 8 whole wheat tortillas (7-inch)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 3 scallions, thinly sliced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 (15-ounce) cans pinto beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 canned chipotle pepper in adobo, finely chopped, plus more for serving (optional)
- Coarse salt and freshly ground pepper
- 1 cup store-bought green salsa, plus more for serving (optional)
- 1/2 cup frozen corn kernels, thawed
- 1 to 2 tablespoons freshly squeezed lime juice
- 1/2 cup plain low-fat yogurt
- 1/2 cup packed cilantro leaves
- 2 cups shredded romaine lettuce
- 1 cup shredded Monterey Jack cheese (about 4 ounces)
Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Wrap tortillas in foil, place in oven, and warm while preparing the filling.
In a medium saucepan, heat oil over medium heat. Add scallions and garlic; cook 1 minute until fragrant. Stir in beans, chipotle, and 1 cup water. Bring to a simmer, season with salt and pepper; cook until slightly thickened and hot, 5 to 7 minutes. Stir in salsa (if desired), corn, and lime juice; cook until heated through.
Unwrap tortillas; spread yogurt over one side. Top with bean mixture, cilantro leaves, lettuce, and cheese. Fold tortillas over. Serve with salsa and chipotle, if desired.