Crisp Anise Cookies
These cookies are wrapped in the spirit of the season.
- Yield: Makes about 6 dozen
Source: Martha Stewart Living, December 2008
- 1 1/2 cups plus 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon coarse salt
- 2 teaspoons ground anise seeds
- 4 large eggs, room temperature
- 1 cup plus 2 tablespoons sugar, plus more for sprinkling
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Sift flour, baking powder, salt, and anise in a medium bowl. Whisk eggs with a mixer on medium speed. Slowly add sugar, increase speed to high, and whisk until thick and glossy, about 10 minutes. Reduce speed to low, and add flour mixture, whisking until just combined.
Spoon batter into a pastry bag fitted with a 1/2-inch round tip. Pipe 1-inch tapered mounds on baking sheets lined with nonstick baking mats, spacing them 1 inch apart. Bake until firm, 10 to 12 minutes. Let cool on sheets on wire racks.