- 2 cups unbleached all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon coarse salt
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 3/4 cup (1 1/2 sticks) unsalted butter, cut into pieces, at room temperature
- 2 large eggs
- 1/4 cup blackstrap molasses
- 1 tablespoon finely grated fresh ginger
- 1/2 cup Demerara sugar
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line two baking sheets with parchment paper or a nonstick baking mat; set aside.
In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, baking soda, cinnamon, and salt.
In the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, beat together granulated sugar and butter on medium speed until light and fluffy, 2 to 3 minutes. Beat in eggs, molasses, and ginger until combined. With the mixer on low, gradually add the flour mixture, beating just until incorporated.
Form dough into 3/4-inch balls. Place Demerara sugar in a shallow dish and roll each ball of dough in sugar to coat. Transfer cookies to prepared baking sheets, spacing evenly.
Bake, until dark golden brown, rotating baking sheet halfway through baking, about 15 minutes. Transfer to a wire rack to cool.