Colin Quinn's Irish Lamb Stew
This hearty recipe for Irish lamb stew comes from comedian Colin Quinn.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 medium onions, chopped
- 3 pounds boneless lamb shoulder, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 2 teaspoons fresh thyme
- Coarse salt and freshly ground pepper
- 6 medium russet potatoes, peeled
- 3 cups homemade or store-bought low-sodium chicken stock
- 1/2 teaspoon Homemade Vegan Worcestershire Sauce
- 8 medium carrots, sliced on the bias into 1-inch pieces
- 1/4 cup pearl barley
- 1/4 cup heavy cream
- Chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley, for serving
Preheat oven to 325 degrees.
Heat olive oil in a large Dutch oven over medium heat. Add onions and cook, stirring, until soft and translucent. Add lamb shoulder and thyme; season with salt and pepper.
Slice two of the potatoes and add to pot, along with chicken stock and Worcestershire sauce. Halve remaining 4 potatoes and add to pot; stir to combine. Cover and transfer to oven. Bake for 1 hour.
Remove from oven and add carrots, barley, and heavy cream. Cover and return to oven. Bake until lamb and barley are tender, 45 minutes to 1 hour. Season with salt and pepper and sprinkle with parsley before serving.
SourceThe Martha Stewart Show, March 2010