Fried Green Tomatoes
Though fried green tomatoes are commonly thought of as a Southern staple, they were actually an invention of 19th-century Northern farmers who would pick the remaining green tomatoes from their vines before first frost.
- 4 large, firm green tomatoes, cut crosswise into 1/2-inch-thick slices
- Coarse salt and freshly ground pepper
- 1 cup yellow cornmeal, preferably stone ground
- 1/2 teaspoon bittersweet pimenton (smoked Spanish paprika; tienda.com), optional
- 2 large eggs
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil, for frying
Season tomatoes with salt and pepper. Mix together cornmeal and pimenton in a bowl. Lightly beat eggs in another bowl.
Heat oil in a skillet over medium heat. Dip tomatoes in egg, and dredge in cornmeal mixture. Working in batches, fry tomatoes in a single layer until golden brown, about 3 minutes per side. Let drain on a paper-towel-lined plate.
SourceMartha Stewart Living, October 2009