Make these as a breakfast treat for Mother's Day, and spoon on the jam and spread the butter!
- Total Time:
- Yield: Makes 18
Photography: Con Poulos
Source: Everyday Food, May 2011
- 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour (spooned and leveled), plus more for work surface
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon coarse salt
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) cold unsalted butter, cut into small pieces
- 1/2 cup plus 2 tablespoons buttermilk
- 1 tablespoon finely grated orange zest plus 1/4 cup orange juice (from 1 orange)
- 1 large egg yolk
- 1 1/2 teaspoons poppy seeds
- Coarse or sanding sugar, for sprinkling
- Butter and fruit jam (optional), for serving
Preheat oven to 400 degrees, with racks in upper and lower thirds. In a large bowl, whisk together flour, granulated sugar, baking powder, and salt. With a pastry blender or your fingertips, work butter into flour mixture until mixture resembles coarse meal, with a few pea-size pieces of butter remaining. With a fork, stir in 1/2 cup buttermilk, orange zest and juice, egg yolk, and poppy seeds until just combined.
On a lightly floured surface, turn out dough and knead several times. Form dough into a 7-inch square; cut into 9 squares, then cut each in half diagonally. Transfer dough triangles to 2 parchment-lined rimmed baking sheets. Brush tops with 2 tablespoons buttermilk; sprinkle with coarse sugar. Bake until scones are pale golden, 15 to 17 minutes, rotating sheets halfway through. Let cool on wire racks. Serve with butter and jam, if desired.