Spicy Thai Chicken
If you're looking for something simple to have for Dinner Tonight, prepare this delicious spicy Thai chicken and serve with Jasmine Rice for a meal the whole family can enjoy.
- Servings: 4
Source: The Martha Stewart Show, January Winter 2009
- 2 tablespoons uncooked jasmine rice
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 pound ground chicken
- 1 thinly sliced red chile, such as jalapeno or red finger chile
- 1/4 cup freshly squeezed lime juice
- 3 tablespoons fish sauce
- 1 tablespoon palm sugar or light-brown sugar
- 1 cup loosely packed fresh cilantro leaves
- 1 cup loosely packed fresh mint leaves, torn if large
- 1/2 red onion, thinly sliced
- Lettuce leaves, such as butter or iceberg, for serving
- Sliced cucumber, for serving
- Sliced carrots, for serving
Heat a large skillet over medium heat. Add rice and toast, tossing, until golden brown; transfer rice to a small bowl and let cool. Transfer rice to a spice grinder; grind until coarsely ground. Set aside.
In a large skillet, heat vegetable oil over medium heat. Add ground chicken and cook, stirring, to break up large pieces, until chicken is cooked through, 4 to 5 minutes. Stir in chile. In a small bowl, whisk together lime juice, sugar, and fish sauce until sugar has dissolved; add to chicken mixture. Continue cooking for 1 minute more.
Remove from heat and stir in ground rice. Garnish with cilantro, mint, and red onion. Serve chicken in lettuce leaves with cucumber and carrots.