Carne Asada Tacos
This great recipe for carne asada tacos is courtesy of the Calexico Cart in New York City.
- 1 1/2 pounds skirt steak, trimmed
- Juice of 1/2 lime
- Juice of 1/2 lemon
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon toasted cumin seeds
- 1/2 teaspoon toasted ground coriander
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- Coarse salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 8 (6-inch) corn tortillas, warmed
- 1 small head cabbage, cored and shredded
- Calexico Cart's Pico de Gallo
- Calexico Cart's Guacamole
Place steak in a gallon-size plastic resealable food storage bag.
In a medium bowl, mix together lime juice, lemon juice, vegetable oil, garlic clove, onion powder, cumin seeds, coriander, garlic powder, and paprika; season with salt and pepper. Pour over steak in plastic bag. Marinate, refrigerated, at least 6 hours and up to overnight, turning every few hours.
Preheat a grill or grill pan over high heat.
Remove steak from marinade and pat dry. Place steak on grill and cook, turning once, until cooked to medium, about 5 minutes per side. Remove steak from grill and let stand 5 to 10 minutes before slicing against the grain.
To assemble tacos, divide meat evenly between tortillas. Top with cabbage, pico de gallo, and guacamole; serve immediately.
SourceThe Martha Stewart Show, May Spring 2009