Guatemalan Red Cabbage Relish
This recipe is courtesy of Maricel Presilla and should be served with her Slab Bacon in Hot Pepper-Brown Loaf Sugar Adobo recipe.
- 1 medium red cabbage, cored and finely shredded
- 1 large carrot, peeled and finely shredded
- 1 1/2 jalapenos, stemmed, seeded, and minced
- 1 large red onion, cut lengthwise and thinly sliced
- 2 bay leaves
- 1/4 cup beet juice (optional)
- 1/4 cup lime juice
- 1 cup red-wine vinegar
- 1 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- Grated zest of one bitter or regular orange, preferably Seville
- 1/4 cup finely chopped cilantro
- 1/8 teaspoon ground allspice (optional)
- 1 tablespoon cumin seed, toasted (optional)
- 1/4 cup plus 1 tablespoon dark Muscavado (optional)
- Coarse salt and freshly ground pepper
Bring a large pot of salted water to a rolling boil over high heat. Add cabbage and let cook for 2 minutes. Drain well and let cool completely.
Transfer cooled cabbage to a large bowl. Add carrot, chile, onion, and bay leaves; set aside. In another small bowl, whisk together beet juice, lime juice, vinegar, olive oil, orange zest, cilantro, allspice, cumin, and Muscavado, if using; season with 2 teaspoons salt and 1 teaspoon pepper. Add to cabbage mixture and toss until well combined. Season with salt and pepper. Keep tightly covered, refrigerated, for up to 3 days.