Roast Farmers Chicken
For a delicious chicken dinner, try this roast chicken recipe from Minetta Tavern chefs Riad Nasr and Lee Hanson.
- Servings: 2
Source: The Martha Stewart Show, March 2009
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter, room temperature
- 1/4 teaspoon chopped garlic, plus 1 clove, crushed
- 1/2 teaspoon chopped fresh thyme, plus 1 sprig
- 1 (3-pound) chicken, wing tips removed, rinsed and well dried
- 1 sprig fresh rosemary
- Coarse salt and freshly ground pepper
- 1 (2-inch) piece baguette, preferably from the heel
- 2 tablespoons Lee Hanson and Riad Nasr's Clarified Butter
- Pommes Aligot, for serving, optional
- Sauteed Spinach, for serving, optional
Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
In a small bowl, stir together butter, chopped garlic, and chopped thyme until well combined. Gently pull the skin away from the breast of the chicken; rub butter mixture over breast.
Place rosemary and thyme sprigs, crushed garlic, and baguette in the cavity of the chicken; season with salt and pepper. Using kitchen twine, truss chicken.
In a large oven-proof skillet, heat clarified butter over medium-high heat. Add chicken; cook, turning, until browned on all sides, about 10 minutes. Transfer skillet to oven and roast, basting with pan juices, until it reaches 165 degrees on an instant-read thermometer, 30 to 35 minutes.
Let chicken rest 10 minutes before serving with potatoes and spinach, if desired.