Try this recipe for sloppy bao, a Vietnamese sandwich with spicy curry beef and mango, courtesy of Baoguette's Michael Bao.
- 1/4 cup safflower oil
- 2 pounds lean ground beef
- 1/4 cup chopped shallot
- 2 tablespoons chopped lemongrass
- 1/4 cup Thai red-curry paste
- 1 teaspoon chopped garlic
- 2 cups ketchup
- 2 tablespoons fish sauce
- 20 Thai basil leaves
- 2 teaspoons light-brown sugar
- 1/2 cup Dijon mustard
- Coarse salt
- 8 (8-inch) lengths of baguette, halved horizontally
- 2 cups julienned green mango or Granny Smith apple, for serving
- Thinly sliced jalapenos, for serving
Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
Heat oil in a medium skillet over medium heat. Add beef, shallot, lemongrass, red-curry paste, and garlic. Cook until browned, about 5 minutes.
Stir in ketchup, fish sauce, 10 basil leaves, brown sugar, and mustard. Reduce heat and simmer for 15 minutes.
Place baguettes in oven and cook until toasted, about 2 minutes. Fill each baguette with about 1 cup beef mixture, and top with remaining 10 basil leaves, mango, and jalapenos. Serve immediately.
SourceThe Martha Stewart Show, March 2009