Flaked salmon and black beans, which make up the bulk of salmon cakes, are both good sources of calcium. The cakes are coated in a spicy bread-crumb mixture and then baked at a high temperature to make them crisp. Return to Healthy Calcium-Rich Menu.
- One 15-ounce can salmon, drained and flaked (about 2 cups)
- 1 cup canned black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 small red bell pepper (or half of a large pepper), seeded and finely chopped
- 3 scallions, white and light-green parts only, finely chopped
- 1 large whole egg
- 3 large egg whites
- 1 teaspoon mustard powder
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon coarse salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- Few dashes Tabasco (optional)
- 1 cup bread crumbs
- Mixed greens, for serving
- Cooking spray
Preheat oven to 450 degrees. Coat a baking sheet with cooking spray. In a bowl, combine salmon, beans, bell pepper, scallions, egg, egg whites, mustard, paprika, salt, pepper, Tabasco (if using), and 1/2 cup bread crumbs. Using hands, combine well.
Pour remaining 1/2 cup bread crumbs into a shallow bowl. Form salmon mixture into 12 2 1/2-inch patties. Coat patties in bread crumbs; place on prepared baking sheet. Cook until golden brown and crisp, flipping cakes over halfway, about 30 minutes. Serve warm over greens.