Broccoli Rabe with Anchovies and Breadcrumbs
Serve this side dish packed with umami flavor and incredible textures with roasted chicken or meatloaf.
- Servings: 4
Photography: Con Poulos
Source: Everyday Food, May 2011
- 5 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 anchovies, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1 bunch broccoli rabe (about 1 pound), trimmed, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 1/3 cup water
- Coarse salt and ground pepper
- 2 tablespoons plain dried breadcrumbs
- 1 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
In a large pot with a tight-fitting lid, heat 3 teaspoons olive oil over medium. Add anchovies and garlic; cook until garlic is fragrant, 1 minute. Add broccoli rabe and water; season with salt and pepper. Increase heat to high, cover, and cook 3 minutes. Remove lid and cook, uncovered, until broccoli rabe is tender and liquid evaporates, 2 minutes. Meanwhile, in a small skillet, heat 2 teaspoons oil over medium-high. Add breadcrumbs and cook until golden brown, about 3 minutes. Season with salt and pepper. Transfer broccoli rabe to a serving dish and top with breadcrumbs and lemon juice. Serve warm or at room temperature.