Mango and Lime-Glazed Chicken
- 5 limes
- 1/2 mango (about 13 ounces), pitted, peeled, and cut into chunks
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly grated ginger, plus several pieces for roasting
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1 1/2 tablespoons olive oil
- Salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste
- One 3-pound whole chicken
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- Several stalks lemongrass
Heat oven to 450 degrees. Grate zest and squeeze juice from one lime. Puree in food processor with mango, ginger, honey, oil, and salt to taste; mango should not be completely smooth. Reserve 3 tablespoons for Buckwheat-Noodle Salad; set aside remaining glaze.
Sprinkle chicken, inside and out, with salt and pepper. Puncture two limes; place in chicken cavity, and tie legs together with kitchen twine. Divide butter in half; slip pats under skin on each side of breast.
Halve remaining two limes, and strew roasting pan with limes, ginger pieces, and lemongrass. Place chicken in pan. Roast in bottom third of oven until chicken begins to brown, about 20 minutes. Baste with pan juices, and generously brush glaze over chicken. Continue to roast, basting and glazing every 10 minutes; cover with foil if chicken starts to burn. After 30 minutes, reduce oven to 350 degrees, and cook about 10 minutes, or until chicken has internal temperature of 185 degrees. Serve with Buckwheat-Noodle Salad.