Chef Marcus Samuelsson shared this recipe for barbecued oxtail from his cookbook, "The Soul of New Cuisine."
- 3 tablespoons Jerk Mix
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 12 pieces oxtail, each 5 inches long
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 2 medium Spanish onions, finely chopped
- 1 can (26 ounces) whole peeled tomatoes, drained
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 piece fresh ginger (3 inches), peeled and chopped
- 6 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 Scotch bonnet chiles, seeds and ribs removed, finely chopped
- 1 1/2 teaspoons chile powder
- 1 teaspoon coarse salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon coriander seeds
- 4 cups homemade or store-bought low-sodium canned chicken stock
- 1/2 cup brewed coffee
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1/2 cup honey
Combine jerk mix and canola oil in a large bowl. Add oxtail and toss to coat. Cover and refrigerate 8 hours.
Heat olive oil in a large Dutch-oven over high heat. Working in batches, add oxtail and onions and cook, stirring occasionally, until browned, 15 minutes.
Add tomatoes, bay leaf, ginger, and garlic; bring to simmer. Stir in chiles, salt, chili powder, cumin, coriander, chicken stock, coffee, and Worcestershire sauce. Cover, reduce heat, and continue simmering 2 hours.
Add honey and continue simmering, uncovered, until oxtail is tender, 20 to 30 minutes. Remove bay leaf, and serve.
SourceThe Martha Stewart Show, February Winter 2007