Watermelon Bloody Marys
This not-just-for-brunch cocktail gets a light sweetness from watermelon juice. Freshly ground celery seeds add complexity, while dashes of Worcestershire and Tabasco sauces give it a kick.
- 12 cups watermelon chunks (from one 4-pound watermelon, rind removed), plus pieces, for serving
- 1 teaspoon sugar, or to taste
- Ice, for serving
- 1 1/2 cups tomato juice
- 13 dashes hot sauce, such as Tabasco, or to taste
- 1 1/2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1 1/4 teaspoons coarse salt
- 1/2 teaspoon celery seeds, ground with a mortar and pestle, or celery salt
- Freshly ground pepper
- 1 to 1 1/4 cups vodka
- Celery stalks, for serving
Working in batches, puree watermelon (with seeds) and sugar in blender. Strain into a bowl through a fine sieve, pressing with a rubber spatula; discard solids. (You will have 5 1/2 cups juice.)
For children's drinks: Divide 2 1/2 cups juice among 4 ice-filled glasses.
For adults' drinks: Stir remaining 3 cups watermelon juice with tomato juice, hot sauce, Worcestershire sauce, salt, and celery seeds in a bowl set in a larger bowl of ice. Season with pepper. Stir in vodka and divide among 4 ice-filled glasses.
Garnish adult drinks with a piece of watermelon and a celery stalk.
SourceMartha Stewart Living, July 2009