Almond Curry Chicken
This tasty curry chicken recipe is made with Almond Dream, a nondairy source of antioxidants, vitamins, and calcium.
Source: The Martha Stewart Show, April 2010
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- Coarse salt and freshly ground pepper
- 8 bone-in, skin-on chicken thighs
- 1 large yellow onion, thinly sliced
- 1 teaspoon Madras curry powder
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 2 cups Almond Dream Original almond drink
- 1/2 cup sliced almonds, toasted
- 1/4 cup coarsely chopped cilantro
- Rice Pilaf with Shallots, for serving
Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
Heat oil in a medium ovenproof high-sided skillet. Season chicken with salt and pepper and place chicken, skin side down, in skillet. Cook until skin is golden brown and crisp, about 5 minutes; turn chicken and cook 2 to 3 minutes more. Transfer chicken to a plate and set aside.
Add onions to skillet and reduce heat to medium-low. Cook, stirring occasionally, until soft and beginning to caramelize, about 10 minutes. Stir in curry powder, nutmeg, cinnamon stick, and Almond Dream; season with salt and pepper; bring to a simmer. Return chicken to skillet, skin side up, and transfer to oven. Cook until chicken is cooked through, about 35 minutes.
Remove from oven and season with salt and pepper. Garnish with almonds and cilantro; serve with rice pilaf.