Grilled Sausage with Arugula Pesto
Peppery arugula pesto is the perfect accompaniment to grilled Italian sausages. Save any extra pesto to use on other grilled meats or fish. It will last up to one week in the refrigerator.
- Servings: 4
Photography: Anna Williams
Source: Martha Stewart Living, July 2001
- 1 bunch arugula (about 4 ounces), stems trimmed, washed
- 4 cloves garlic, peeled and smashed
- 1 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 1/2 teaspoons coarse salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1/2 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 8 assorted Italian pork sausages (about 1 pound), both hot and sweet varieties
Make the pesto: Place the arugula and garlic in the bowl of a food processor. Pulse until finely chopped, scraping down sides if necessary. Add cheese, salt, pepper, and olive oil, and puree until smooth and well combined.
Heat grill to medium-high heat. Prick sausages with fork to allow excess fat to drip. Grill until cooked through, about 4 minutes per side. Serve pesto over the grilled sausages.