- 1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter, softened
- 1/3 cup plus 2 teaspoons sugar
- 2 large eggs, separated, plus 1 egg yolk, all at room temperature
- 3 tablespoons heavy cream
- 1 1/2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour, plus more for work surface
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup sliced blanched almonds
Preheat oven to 325 degrees. Put butter and 1/3 cup sugar into the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment. Mix on medium-high speed until pale and fluffy. Mix in 2 yolks, 2 tablespoons cream, and the vanilla. Reduce speed to low. Gradually mix in flour and salt. Shape into a disk; wrap in plastic. Refrigerate until cold, about 45 minutes.
Transfer dough to a lightly floured work surface. Roll out to a generous 1/8 inch thick. Using a 1 1/2-inch fluted cutter, cut out rounds, and place on parchment-lined baking sheets. Reroll scraps, and cut out. Whisk remaining yolk and 1 tablespoon cream; brush cookies with egg wash. Refrigerate 15 minutes.
Put egg whites into the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the whisk attachment. Beat until foamy. Gradually add remaining 2 teaspoons sugar; beat until stiff peaks form. Place 1 teaspoon meringue and 3 almond pieces on top of each cookie. Bake until meringue is golden, about 15 minutes. Let cool completely on sheets on wire racks.