This wonderful chicken cobbler recipe is courtesy of John Barricelli.
For the Filling
- 1 (3-pound) chicken
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1/2 red onion, finely chopped (about 1 cup)
- 3 carrots, cut into 1/2-inch pieces (about 1 1/3 cups)
- 1 large parsnip, cut into 1/2-inch pieces (about 1 cup)
- 3 1/2 ounces shiitake mushrooms, stems removed, sliced (about 2 cups)
- 2 tablespoons brandy or cognac
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 cups milk
- 3/4 cup fresh pearl onions, peeled and blanched or frozen, defrosted
- 3/4 cup fresh peas, blanched or frozen, defrosted
- 2 teaspoons fresh thyme
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
- Pinch of freshly grated nutmeg
For the Chive-Biscuit Topping
- 2 cups all-purpose flour, plus more for work surface
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- Pinch of sugar
- 1 cup loosely packed, finely grated Gruyere cheese
- 1/4 cup chopped chives
- 1 1/4 cups heavy cream, plus more for brushing
Make the filling: Place chicken in a large pot; add enough water to cover by 2 inches. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat; immediately reduce to a simmer. Season with 1 tablespoon salt and 1/2 teaspoon pepper; cook, skimming surface, until chicken is tender, 30 to 40 minutes.
Remove chicken from pot and let cool. Strain broth, set aside 2 1/2 cups; reserve remaining broth for another use. Shred chicken, discarding skin and bones; set aside.
In a very large skillet, melt butter over medium-high heat. Add onion and cook, stirring, until translucent. Add carrots and parsnip; cook, stirring, until softened. Add mushrooms and cook, stirring, until softened. Add brandy and stir to deglaze.
Add flour and cook, stirring, for 1 minute. Add reserved chicken broth; stir to combine. Add milk, bring to a boil, and cook for 5 minutes. Add onions, peas, thyme, parsley, nutmeg, and reserved chicken; stir to combine. Season with salt and pepper. Divide mixture evenly between six 8- to 10-ounce ramekins; set aside.
Make the chive-biscuit topping: Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Line a baking sheet with a nonstick baking mat; set aside. In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, salt, and sugar. Add cheese and chives; stir to combine. Add heavy cream; stir until well combined.
Turn dough out onto a lightly floured work surface. Shape into a 1/2-inch-thick circle. Using a 3 3/4-inch biscuit cutter, cut out 6 rounds. Top each filled ramekin with a round. Lightly brush with heavy cream.
Transfer ramekins to prepared baking sheet. Bake until chicken mixture is bubbly and biscuits are golden, about 30 minutes. Serve immediately.