This wonderful chicken cobbler recipe is courtesy of John Barricelli.
For the Filling
- 1 (3-pound) chicken
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1/2 red onion, finely chopped (about 1 cup)
- 3 carrots, cut into 1/2-inch pieces (about 1 1/3 cups)
- 1 large parsnip, cut into 1/2-inch pieces (about 1 cup)
- 3 1/2 ounces shiitake mushrooms, stems removed, sliced (about 2 cups)
- 2 tablespoons brandy or cognac
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 cups milk
- 3/4 cup fresh pearl onions, peeled and blanched or frozen, defrosted
- 3/4 cup fresh peas, blanched or frozen, defrosted
- 2 teaspoons fresh thyme
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
- Pinch of freshly grated nutmeg
For the Chive-Biscuit Topping
- 2 cups all-purpose flour, plus more for work surface
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- Pinch of sugar
- 1 cup loosely packed, finely grated Gruyere cheese
- 1/4 cup chopped chives
- 1 1/4 cups heavy cream, plus more for brushing
Make the filling: Place chicken in a large pot; add enough water to cover by 2 inches. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat; immediately reduce to a simmer. Season with 1 tablespoon salt and 1/2 teaspoon pepper; cook, skimming surface, until chicken is tender, 30 to 40 minutes.
Remove chicken from pot and let cool. Strain broth, set aside 2 1/2 cups; reserve remaining broth for another use. Shred chicken, discarding skin and bones; set aside.
In a very large skillet, melt butter over medium-high heat. Add onion and cook, stirring, until translucent. Add carrots and parsnip; cook, stirring, until softened. Add mushrooms and cook, stirring, until softened. Add brandy and stir to deglaze.
Add flour and cook, stirring, for 1 minute. Add reserved chicken broth; stir to combine. Add milk, bring to a boil, and cook for 5 minutes. Add onions, peas, thyme, parsley, nutmeg, and reserved chicken; stir to combine. Season with salt and pepper. Divide mixture evenly between six 8- to 10-ounce ramekins; set aside.
Make the chive-biscuit topping: Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Line a baking sheet with a nonstick baking mat; set aside. In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, salt, and sugar. Add cheese and chives; stir to combine. Add heavy cream; stir until well combined.
Turn dough out onto a lightly floured work surface. Shape into a 1/2-inch-thick circle. Using a 3 3/4-inch biscuit cutter, cut out 6 rounds. Top each filled ramekin with a round. Lightly brush with heavy cream.
Transfer ramekins to prepared baking sheet. Bake until chicken mixture is bubbly and biscuits are golden, about 30 minutes. Serve immediately.
SourceThe Martha Stewart Show, March Winter 2009