Use this mushroom stock to make Ubuntu chef Jeremy Fox's Celery Root, Persimmon, and Swiss Chard "Stuffing."
- 1/2 pound shiitake mushrooms, cleaned
- 1/2 pound crimini mushrooms, cleaned
- 1/2 large carrot, peeled and cut into 2-inch pieces
- 1/2 celery root, peeled and cut into 2-inch pieces
- 3 shallots, peeled and cut into thirds
- 1 tablespoon rosemary leaves
- Vegetable oil, for pan
Place both mushrooms, carrot, celery root, shallots, and rosemary leaves in the bowl of a food processor; process until finely chopped.
Heat vegetable oil in a large pot over high heat. Transfer vegetable mixture to pot and reduce heat to medium. Cook vegetables, letting them "cake" in bottom of pot, about 5 minutes.
Add 12 cups water to pot. Simmer for 2 hours. Strain stock and let cool.