Fish Sauce Dip (Nuoc Cham)
This recipe for fish sauce, from chef Bobby Chinn's cookbook, "Wild, Wild East," is served with his delicious Fresh Spring Rolls and Minced Meat, Crab, and Grapefruit Vietnamese Salad.
- Yield: Makes about 1/2 cup
Source: The Martha Stewart Show, October Fall 2008
- 1 teaspoon rice-wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 finger-length Thai bird's-eye chile, finely chopped and seeds removed, if desired, for a milder sauce
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1 tablespoon freshly squeezed lime juice
- 2 tablespoons Vietnamese fish sauce
In a small saucepan, mix together vinegar, sugar, and 1/4 cup of water. Bring to a boil over high heat. Immediately remove from heat and set aside to cool.
Stir in chile, garlic, and lime juice until well combined; stir in fish sauce.